Gowrie SA is holding:
- Becoming Mindful on Wednesday 3 October, 9:30am-4:30pm. Cost $140 pp
- What is my culture? + Bringing Kaurna Language into your curriculum at Marra Dreaming, 22 Commercial Road, Salisbury on Monday 15 October, 10:00am-4:00pm and at the Living Kaurna Cultural Centre, Warriparinga Drive, Bedford Park on Wednesday 24 October 10:00am-4:00pm. Cost $135 pp.
- Balancing the books: Financial management for Directors, 9:30am-4:30pm, cost $125.
- Recruitment, 9:30am-12:30pm, Thursday 11 October, $90.
Building confident learners through: Dispositions for Learning, Friday 14 September, 9:00am-4:30pm, $150
Learning Dispositions & Numeracy, Friday 28 September, 1:30m-5:00pm, $99
Learning Dispositions & Literacy, Friday 28 September 9:00am-12:30pm, $99
Learning Dispositions & Children with Special Rights, Friday 26 October, 9:00am-12:30pm, $99.
Andrew McPhail Professional Development is holding the following:
- Principles of Effective Vocabulary Instruction with Dr Mary Dahlgren. Wednesday 10 October, 9:00am-4:00pm at the Playford Civic Centre. Cost $265 includes lunch.
- Spelling – Reading – Phonics Phoneme-Grapheme Cards and More with Dr Mary Dahlgren. Thursday 11 October, 9:00am-4:00pm at the Education Development Centre, Hindmarsh. Cost $265 includes lunch.
Call Andrew McPhail on 0402 500 816 for more information.
The SA Science Teachers Association is holding an Early Career Teachers Conference Knowing, Understanding and Doing Science for teachers in the first five years of teaching science/STEM or those new to a specialist science or STEM role. Includes workshops for both primary and secondary teachers. At Immanuel College, Morphett Road, Novar Gardens on Friday 12 October. Find out more here.
The Nature of Listening presented by the International Association of Nature Pedagogy is being held at Marnong Estate, Melbourne on the 29 & 30 March 2019. Speakers include Claire Warden, Angela Hanscom and Kirsty Liljegren. This symposium unites educators, allied health professionals, community organisations and parents and carers to work together to listen to children, to listen to each other, to listen to our bodies, to listen to our heads, and to listen to our hearts. An inclusive and integrated approach to growth, development, teaching and learning with children. Submission for abstracts will be open soon. More information can be found here or email or call Briony Brooks on 0409091804.
The South Australian Science Teachers Association is holding the following Senior Science Marking Workshops:
- Physics Marking / Moderation Workshop – 11 September
- Biology Marking Workshop – 14 September
- Chemistry Marking Workshop – 17 September
For more information and to register click here.
A one-day Introductory Brain Gym® workshop is being held at the Fullarton Community Centre on Wednesday 3 October, 9:00am-5:00pm. Earlybird fee of $180 includes a book and morning tea. Learn 26 Brain Gym movements to reduce stress & allow learning to be easier.
A four day Brain Gym®101 course is running from Wednesday 3 to Saturday 6 October at the Fullarton Community Centre. Earlybird fee of $800 includes two books, notes and morning tea. Contact Heather Gibbons for more information and to register: email or call 0407 978 335.
The call for Workshops is open for the STEM (6-11) Conference hosted by the South Australian Science Teachers Association and the Mathematical Association of South Australia. For more information and to submit a presentation by 14 September click here.
The Dyslexia SA Literacy Expo is being held on Saturday 13 October. Featured presenters include Dr Mary Dahlgren, Alison Clarke and Lyn Stone. At the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh, 8:30am-5:00pm. Cost $225.90 (inc booking fee). Click here to book or visit Dyslexia SA here.
The Literacy Guarantee Conference will focus on a whole-school approach to cater for the range of student achievement in literacy. Topics include: oral language, assistive technology for older students, intervention, learning difficulties and dyslexia. Leading experts in literacy and learning difficulties will present a range of information designed to support leaders and educators to more effectively meet the needs of all students in literacy including those with learning difficulties. Thursday 11 October at the Lakes Resort Hotel, 9:30am-3:30pm. Lunch provided. Open to all registered teachers. Registrations open on Monday 27. The Catholic and independent sectors can register here and Department for Education staff can register via Plink.
For more information on the conference or more general literacy or learning difficulty enquiries please contact the Literacy Guarantee helpdesk on 8463 5846 or email.
The Centre of Democracy is holding Teacher Twilight where you can learn about the Centre and the thinking behind the design and selection of objects and the connection to the Australian curriculum specifically HASS and Civics and Citizenship. On Tuesday 11 September, 4:30pm-5:30pm in the Institute Building, Cnr North Terrace & Kintore Avenue. Parking is available on request. RSVP here or visit their website here.
Learning 4 All is holding Autism Spectrum Disorder and Positive Behaviour Support in the Educational Context with Headspace Director Professor Robyn Young. On Wednesday 19 September, 4:00pm-6:00pm at The Highway, 290 Anzac Highway, Plympton. Cost $75. Click here for more information.
Natural Maths is holding:
- A Day of Problem Solving on Tuesday 2 October. This workshop will engage R-7 and middle school teachers in a variety of problem types and explore the potential of each.
- Preventing the Numeracy Gap on Wednesday 3 October. A numeracy intervention scaffold for early years and Foundation/Reception teachers (and teachers with students not ‘getting the maths basics’).
At the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street Hindmarsh. Cost for each workshop is $150.
The Primary Maths Association is holding:
- Saturday 8 September, 8.45am-1.00pm, Developing Number Sense R-7
- Friday 14 September, 8:45am-3:00pm, Using children’s literature to engage children in mathematics
- Monday 17 September, 4:15pm-6:15pm, Designing mathematics learning with a visualising focus
- Friday 21 September, 8.45am-3.00pm, Teaching Calculating Effectively
Music and Fun is offering a workshop for pre-school childhood educators interested in obtaining fresh ideas for their music programmes with Libby Phillips. All attendees receive two CDs and two accompanying books containing over 60 songs and activities. To be held at St. Matt’s Church, Kensington on Saturday 22 September, 9:15am-12:30pm. Cost $120. Register by email.
Literacy Solutions is holding the following workshops for teachers of Years 2-6:
- The Six Traits of Writing. Tuesday 11 September, 8:45am-2:45pm. Cost $275+GST. To find out more or register click here.
- Engaging the Upper Two Bands in Literacy. Tuesday 11 September, 3:30pm -5:15pm. Cost $85+GST. To find out more or register click here.
- Intervention Strategies, Wednesday 12 September, 8:45am-2:45pm. Cost $275+GST. To find out more or register click here.
All workshops are being held at the Glenelg Golf Club, James Melrose Road, Novar Gardens.
Learning Journeys is holding the following for all R-7 educators:
- Thursday 6 September, 4:15pm-6:15pm Discussion for Deeper Learning, $66 inc GST
- Monday 17 September, 9:00am-3:30pm, Less Behaviour, More Learning, $132 inc GST
To book email Learning Journeys.
Learning Difficulties Australia is holding a seminar with Dr Kate Nation, Reading & Comprehension Difficulties: Research-Practice Links and Applications for the Classroom. This session will:
- consider the complexity of reading comprehension,
- highlight the reasons why children might struggle to understand what they’ve read,
- discuss evidence-based interventions for children with poor reading comprehension and consider implications for the classroom.
On Monday 24 September, 8:45am-12:30pm at the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh. LDA members $160, non-members $175, students $75, group of 5+ $140pp. Find out more here.