A new direction is being sought for Indigenous Education in our learning communities. A reference group is to be formed with a purpose statement outlined below. LESNW are seeking people who are interested in becoming a part of this group.
Principals are invited to nominate themselves or staff, who are interested by emailing their name and contact email to Phyllis firstname.lastname@example.org or Rod Wearn email@example.com providing brief reasons for their suitability to the group.
INDIGENOUS EDUCATION REFERENCE GROUP
Purpose: To provide expertise, guidance and vision to support LESNW in relation to the following:
1. ACARA and AITSL:
Ensure that teachers are adequately prepared to teach:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students (AITSL Standard 1.4); and
- understand and respect their cultures, histories and perspectives to promote reconciliation (AITSL Standard 2.4)
The Australian Curriculum requirements:
- that the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures cross-curriculum priority is designed for all students to engage in reconciliation, respect and recognition of the world’s oldest continuous living cultures.
- that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students see themselves, their identities and their cultures reflected in the curriculum of each of the learning areas, can fully participate in the curriculum and can build their self-esteem
2. GROWING DEEP
Lutheran education promotes the understanding of, and respect for, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Identify and implement relevant practices and capabilities described in the ‘Growing deep’ document.
3. FUNDING FOR INDIGENOUS STUDENTS.
Effective use of funding provided to schools with ATSI students.