Further to the resolution from the LESNW AGM to adopt and new governance structure, the LESNW Council established a governance committee comprised of Chair of Council Daryl Trigg, Deputy Chair of Council Matt Schmidt, Council Member Corrin Townsend and Executive Director John Proeve. This committee has engaged consultants to advise on a terms of reference for the governance committee, council membership structure, the framing of the LESNW constitution and model constitutions for learning communities.
Steve Sanders, LESNW Strategy and Planning Director, together with Peter Smith and Simon Venus from Piper Alderman have assisted in the shaping of a draft constitution. The LESNW council have endorsed a hybrid membership structure that both brings LESNW learning community education and external skill based expertise to the Council (Board). We have endeavoured to capture the key operations of the LESNW secretariat in the Objects and reflect the recent LCA synod decisions around governance in the relationships, and now look for your reflections and feedback.
The process moving forward in relation to the finalisation of the LESNW constitution is as follows:
- Circulate the draft constitution to Council members for their review, and then to members, prior to a forum on Monday 12 November, 4.30pm at LESNW.
- At the 12 November forum, discussion on the constitution would be had and feedback sought. Members will have opportunity to ‘LifeSize’ into the forum; absence of feedback/input will be interpreted as acceptance.
- As soon as practicable after the 12 November meeting, the final version of the constitution would then be circulated to LESNW members.
- 21 days after the distribution of the final version of the constitution to LESNW members, a flying minute vote on the adoption of the constitution would be held.
- The outcome of the ballot will be declared at the earliest opportunity after the close of the ballot.
I look forward to engagement with our membership, as together we shape a LESNW Constitution to take us into the future.
LESNW Council Chair