On 15/6/2018 the LCA General Church Council made a decision that the LCA will join the Australian National Redress Scheme for people who have experienced child sexual abuse in institutional settings. We have recently been asked about the significance and implications of the redress scheme for schools. LEA advise the following:
- Schools are covered by the redress scheme
- The cost of the scheme is being funded by an extra insurance levy which was explained in an LCA Insurance Circular to Business Managers last month. See the attachment below.
LCA Renewal Circular Jun 2018 (003)
- The additional premium will vary from year to year depending on the number of claims.
- The procedures for the operation of the scheme will be forwarded once they have been finalised. There is still a lot of work to be done before this stage.
- The redress scheme will be centrally managed through the LCA office.
- It is important to note that survivors of sexual abuse do not have to go through the redress scheme and can still initiate litigation.
If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call Dianne Eckermann, LEA Director of Leadership
T: 08 8267 7318