Dear Directors, Principals, and other leaders who receive this newsletter,
As we start a new year, and new roles for many of you, I want to encourage you as leaders.
One of the highlights in my role is facilitating Connect Session 3 which has an emphasis on VOCATION. This is a significant theological gift that Martin Luther has left us with.
Working with new staff, the themes that often arise around vocation are:
• We are called by God to our current positions (or stations)
• We are equipped by God to fulfil our roles
• Our purpose is to use our gifts to serve others through our roles
• We are serving God as we serve others (whether we realise it or not)
• Everyone’s vocation is important
My encouragement to each of you as leaders is to reflect on these points. No matter what your circumstance of appointment, no matter what your life story is, remember
• you are called by God to your current position (or station)
• you are equipped by God to fulfil your role
• your purpose is to use your gifts to serve others
• you serve God as you serve others
• everybody else’s vocation is just as important as yours
As leaders we sometimes question our suitability for the role, and, we are tempted to question the contribution of others. Understanding vocation helps us to realise that God has intentionally created each person and that each person is uniquely gifted to live in relationship with God and others.
May an understanding of vocation give you confidence in your own role, and a greater sense of willingness to value the contribution of others.
Spiritual & Cultural Leader