Welcome to the start of the 2020 school year.
As per Lutheran Education Australia’s CSCF (Christian Studies Curriculum Framework), we wish to share some excerpts from the Appendices – adopted as BLEA policy in relation to Christian Studies:
‘Christian Studies is a learning area that belongs to the formal curricular program of the Lutheran school and as such should operate within the same parameters as other learning areas, with appropriate assessment and reporting, timetabling, budget, staffing and resourcing.’ (p.108)
The following 2020 key dates and initiatives are provided by LESNW. Please note that ALL workshop registrations are via the Events section of our web page.
1. Christian Studies Leader Induction – for recently appointed Christian Studies (CS) and other Leaders (eg. Chaplains, Teaching and Learning). The purpose of this day is to provide an understanding of CS, the CS Leaders role, Lutheran Education Australia (LEA) Accreditation and CS requirements (as per the Christian Studies Curriculum Framework (CSCF) and develop team and collegial partnerships.
DATE: Thursday 12 March at LESNW
2. Christian Studies Leaders Labs – for all CS Leaders. The purposes of these labs are to continue implementing the philosophies and practices of the CSCF as guided by Growing Deep. The focus in 2020 will be to assist CS Leaders in understanding the new Equip units, including the experience of new theological strategies.
DATE: Friday 13 March at LESNW
3. Connection with CS Leaders and Teaching and Learning/Curriculum Leaders – In 2019, we met with Leaders of Teaching and Learning and CS. These were highly valued and will continue in 2020. If we were unable to meet with this team last year, or if you have new Leaders in either of these roles, please contact Andrew Bradtke (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sue Kupke (email@example.com) to arrange a time for this connection.
4. CS Grow – These are professional development opportunities for any CS teacher, developed in response to requests from CS teachers for professional learning and development. They include engagement with the CSCF in areas such as prayer, service, concepts, spirituality and multi-faiths. Workshop focus areas and registrations happen via the Events section of our web page.
5. Christian Studies teacher induction – In previous years we have facilitated teacher induction sessions for teachers new to Christian Studies (CS) who have not yet commenced Equip. We now encourage CS Leaders to facilitate these sessions with new CS teachers. If you would like assistance in this area, please let us know.
6. LEA Accreditation to teach Christian Studies – New teachers of CS work through a program called Connect in their first year of employment. Once the requirements for this program are completed, Equip 1 (3 days) and then Equip 2 (3 days) are undertaken via the regional office (LESNW) over 2 years. Dates for Equip 1 and Equip 2 are advertised via the Events section of our web page. (Please note that when registering for Equip 1, the two offerings are referred to as Group A and Group B; participants only register for one group.)
Equip 1 Dates:
2020 Group A: 7 May, 8 May, 27 July
2020 Group B: 3 August, 4 August, 16 October
Equip 2 Dates:
2020 Group A: 28 May, 29 May, 31 August
If you have any further queries, please feel free to make contact with us by phone or email.